Monday, September 21, 2009

Baishawan Beach


Sooooo when I woke up this morning I checked online and saw that it was 2 degrees at home! Ouch! On a completely unrelated note, this afternoon I decided to go to Baishawan beach in Northern Taiwan. Easier said than done, since I was going solo and couldn't find any proper directions online besides "go to the last subway station and take a bus." What bus?! But somehow I did manage to make my way there by bus, then train, and then another bus. It took a little over 2 hours, but I really wanted to check out this beach and I'm glad I did. It was about 35 degrees but since I was on the coast a light breeze made the weather comfortable. The water was wavy with a strong current so you couldn't go out too far but it was as warm as bathwater and great to bob around in. It would have been great for boogie boards!


There was a a really wavy area (not where I was swimming) that people were actually surfing in. I don't think I'd ever actually seen someone surf in real-life before.


One of the best parts about the beach is that there's a walking trail as well, so you can do an easy hike around the coast. It was beautiful.


There were about half a dozen guys with fishing poles about halfway along the trail. It made me wonder what I'd just been swimming with.


I wanted to find a good spot to have a snack (AKA some Mr. Donut brand donuts) and when I saw this thing (above) I decided I had to walk through all this tall grass (snakes!) and climb up all these boulders to eat my strawberry donut next to this fort (?I'm assuming?)


The view, donuts and the photo shoots were great. After I climbed back down I took another dip in the water before heading back home, where some dumplings from Mel's boss and some cakes from our neighbors were waiting for me. I can't wait to bring Mel back the Baishawan (probably this weekend!)

Ahhhhhhhh... don't Mondays suck?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive