Saturday, August 4, 2007

I know 53 Korean Words


Worried about language barriers in Korea? I was concerned as well before I came, but it has been surprisingly easy to get by in Korea with little to no knowledge of the language. I had initially planned to study hangul, but languages have always been a challange for me, and I quickly realized that it was not essential. Most restaurants and shops have a little english on their menus and signs, or pictures that you can point and grunt at like a caveman. A lot of the locals speak a bit of english too which helps, and paired with my limited korean it's easy to get by. I don't know if this would be the case if you didn't live in a major korean city, but in Suwon, Seoul and Busan it's fine. The only words that I wish I knew were dollar amounts, although I have gotten pretty good at guessing prices with my numerical sign language. Here is the list, maybe some people would be embarrassed to admit that they've lived in a country for almost a year and only learned 53 words; I'm pleased as punch.


1. annyong haseyo- hello

2. ossossyo- welcome

3. nehhhh- yes

4. anio- no

5. kamsa hamnida- thank you

6. yogi- here

7. choggi- there

8. igo- this

9. oranjo- right

10. weyjo- left

11. bop jo- gimme food

12. bop- rice (rice basically means food, since every meal features rice)

13. takgoggi- chicken

14. hameul- seafood (as in "anio hameul")

15. juseyo- please

16. yongo- english

17. olma ayo- how much?

18. meul- water

19. meulayo- I don't know (a popular statement)

20.hana- 1

21. tul- 2

22. set- 3

23. man won- 10,000 won

24. ya!- Hey!

25. sonsangnim- teacher

26. odi- where

27. wha- why

28. takshi- taxi

29. coppi- coffee

30. ojingah- squid

31. dalki- strawberry

32. kissu- kiss

33. telebision- television

34. jamieopso- boring (oft overheard in class...)

35. opsyo- none/nothing

36. wei woh- memory

37. ohma- mother

38. oppa- father

39. ajumma- aunt (or any older woman)

40. adjoshi- uncle (or any older man)

41. norebang- kareoke room

42. yuk- station (as in the subway station)

43. gogi- meat

44. talli, balli, bo- rock, scissors, paper (a national pasttime)

45. bally/ballywa- hurry/hurry up

46. yogiyo- come here please

47. apartu- apartment

48. yangung- archery (we play an archery game in my Suwon history class)

48. makju- beer (very important)

49. pee- blood (the students never understand why I think it's funny when they point to their cuts and say "pee! pee!"

50. mitchin- crazy


51. Peenu- Soap (as in "Teacher, where is my peenu?" every week after we make soap in science class...)

52. Pigu- Dodge Ball

53. ddong- poop



PS: and I know a few swear words :P

No comments:

Post a Comment