Thursday, March 18, 2010

Melodie's New School

So I've finally got around to posting about my new school. It's a regular public middle school (notice the lack of Jesuses as compared to my last school) located in a very nice part of Seoul. Considering the neighbourhood, I assumed that the school would be more on the modern/posh side, but actually, it isn't. The school itself is very much like the one I taught at in Taiwan- a big C shape with a field in the middle. On my first day of school, I introduced myself and met my liaison teacher. I was informed that in 20 minutes I was expected to teach four consecutive classes. One would think you would be taken on a tour, shown the facilities and curriculum, meet the staff..etc. But, well, this is Korea and from previous experience I've learned to always be prepared. I had already made an introductory lesson so my ass was covered.

At first, I was a little underwhelmed at the classrooms which were fully equipped with broken computers and a whiteboard with strange paint markers. I kept hearing rumors about a "special" English room that would be available the next week but I didn't get my hopes up. However, when I showed up to work on Monday of the next week, I was completely
shocked. The school had built a "special" English classroom (my office desk, above).


I couldn't believe what I saw. It is simply a dream room. There is a brand new Smartboard, DVD stereo system, whiteboard, computer, big desks for the kids, computers at the back of the room and even special blinds depicting famous Western places. Probably one of the best parts is that it's my classroom to use so the students come to me. I don't have to lug everything around to the next room.

Apart from that, my workday is 8:20-4:20pm and I teach 24 classes a week. I plan one lesson per week and then I teach it 24 times! The schedule, though early for me, is working out really well. I like having a solid routine leaving and getting home at the same time as Shawn.
For the most part, the students seem good, especially the grade 7s who still seem really little in comparison to the older ones. I have huge classes with, on average, 38 students per class. In total, I have over 900 students! I think learning names might go out the window.

But I have to say, so far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive