Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Screen Golf

Last weekend we tried something called screen golf. I had never heard of screen golf the last time I lived in Korea but since I've been back I've seen signs for screen golf businesses on just about every block in the city. Korea has a lot of golf fans but not a lot of space for golf courses and the ones that do exist are very expensive, so screen golf has emerged as a less expensive option for golfers. I read an article recently that said there are more than 5,000 screen golf places in Seoul alone. That's like a norebang-level of saturation so we decided to see what the fuss is all about.

There's a shop in the building behind my apartment so that's where we went. We were given a private room, our choice of clubs and some gloves. There's a screen that projects virtual reality golf courses that are identical to the most famous courses in the world. I don't know jack about golf courses so we just let the adjoshi who worked there choose our course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQce2MiE4-U


The game is pretty simple (video above)- you just shoot the balls against the screen and they move along the course. It was certainly a good time but I'm a lefty and there were no left-handed clubs there so I think I would have enjoyed myself a lot more if I could have shot naturally. I didn't get my ball in the hole once and neither did Mel. Plus it was 40,000 Won for an hour of playing, which was pretty steep if you ask me. Despite this, I can see why there are so many of these shops in Seoul nowadays because it's a pretty fun way to relax with friends.

After our pitiful showing on the golf course we decided to do something a little bit more up our alley: norebang. And guess which artist just got added to the karaoke playlist?

Just call me Shawn Bieber.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive