Sunday, January 7, 2007

Our One Day Weekend


Yes, unfortunately, it's true. This week, we worked Tuesday-Saturday because we got New Year's off and that was the deal. I guess Korea doesn't "do" four day weeks. But now we have to get back on the regular schedule so we have to work Monday to Friday this upcoming week. Yep, so as a result, we only get Sunday off. It blows because this past week was actually really challenging for all the teachers. I lucked out though by getting a pretty impressive group of kids. I mean what kid knows the term "oxygen mask"? Mine! However, I'm afraid I won't be as enthusiastic as expected tomorrow morning.


So because of this short weekend, some of us decided to go skating at a local rink to make the most of our day off. With a Korean translation of the rink in hand, Shawn, Shaun, Sarah and I got into a cab to the rink. All in all, it was pretty fun. You wouldn't believe the chaos there! There were so many people skating and falling all over the place. We were all very pleased (and surprised) that none of us sliced up any children. After going round the rink once, Shawn and I demanded they sharpen our rented skates because we could barely keep from falling. I'd never been on such dull skates before! Also, we had to wear helmets. This makes sense considering the amount of people falling. I fell twice because I wasn't used to the hockey/ski boot style skates and I was trying to make fancy moves. Both Shaun and Sarah fell too. Shawn (known as Canada Shawn) was the only one who managed not to fall.

Our skates getting Sharpened...

After we got back to our apartment, we were all hungry. Of course, who wants to make food when you can easily buy a nice steak around the corner. So the four of us met up with Jo and we all went to our new favourite restaurant "Bennigan's", an American chain store. They presently have a promotion of free beer with your food. We like to get the unlimited salad bar (consisting of hot food, sundaes, nachos...) for 11,000 Won and to drink unlimited free beer. It's insane, imagine getting free beer at home. The restaurant would go under, for sure!!!


Best sign EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment