Monday, July 16, 2007

My Favorite Food In Korea

...is pig's feet. Just kidding, although we have eaten those and they were okay (if you ignore the bits of toe). Korean food can be a bit iffy, and we've come across more than our fair share of fish heads in our soup and unidentifiable bits of hairy meat (mainly blamed on our school cafeteria) BUT there is some good stuff being served here and there are a few things I'll really miss when we go home.


My favorite food is chicken galbi (pictured above). Galbi restaraunts are really popular here- I probably pass 15 on my brief trip to work each day. Beef or pork galbi is basically just meat barbequed right at your table with about a dozen complimentary side dishes served along side. It's tasty, but I can bbq meat anytime. Chicken galbi is unique- it's cooked at your table as well, but looks more like a stir fry. Lots of chicken, rice cakes (yummy fat chewy noodles made of rice), sweet potato and some greens are mixed with the spicy galbi sauce and cooked up in front of you.


You take a bit of the chicken stir fry and plop it on a leaf of lettuce, wrap it up and eat it like a fajita. Most of you who know me won't be surprised to find out that I usually skip the lettuce leaf and just eat the galbi itself. Either way, it's awesome. Plus Mel found a cocoon on one of her lettuce leaves once, and you know I'm not having that. Most restaraunts include a few side dishes as well, in the picture above you can see the coleslaw with pink dressing and vinigary seaweed soup which went untouched but was appreciated.

For only 7,000 won this is a filling meal and there's a chicken galbi place within a few minutes of our officetel that we frequent. I'm going to try and smuggle home some galbi sauce to cook it for my family, though I'm worried about the availibility of rice cakes in Aylesford. Mmmm, Dad you're going to love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment