Monday, October 5, 2009

Mrs. Donut Is A Very Lucky Woman


The biggest donut chain in Taiwan is NOT Tim Hortons, but who cares- Mr. Donut sells the tastiest donuts I've ever had. They are my new obsession! In Korea, I was addicted to a variety of ice creams and popsicles, but in Taiwan I get my kicks from Mr. Donut brand donuts!

I was reading a bit about the company online and I guess it used to be an American brand but most stores have become Dunkin' Donuts since they were bought out in the 90s. But in many Asian countries, Mr. Donut is still the big kahuna. Our neighbors told us that when the frst Mr. Donut opened in Taiwan people used to wait in line for an hour to try their donuts! Luckily that isn't the case anymore (although I would probably consider waiting an hour for a fix if I had to!)


Mr. Donut's flavours are surprisingly normal- no red bean, green tea or pumpkin donuts here! My favorite is the Maple Flocky donut... I don't know what "flocky" means but I can only assume it means "delicious". The Maple Flocky is a crueller sliced in half and filled with whip cream and maple syrup. MAN, does writing about it make me want a Maple Flocky RIGHT NOW!!


Mel's favorite is the "Pon De" line of donuts. Pon De Chocolate, Pon De Almond, etc... they are a chewier (perhaps half-cooked?) donut, and I enjoy them as well. And who doesn't like being an English speaking person ordering in French at a Chinese-speaking store? Last weekend Mel asked me to hold onto her Pon De Almond donut for a minute and I accidentally dropped it. I will never live it down!! I can't even tell you how many times she's said "Pon De" in the last week!!

Mister Donut also makes yummy coffees and blended ice drinks, but the star of the show is definately the donuts. I can totally see myself driving through the Eastern US when I get home, in search of these delcious donuts!!! Well, time to drag my fat ass to work. But after that I think I know where I'll be going this evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment