Monday, October 12, 2009

Quoteable Taiwan


Did you know that I laugh on a daily basis here in Taiwan? Sometimes, it's an inner laugh (like when you accidentally draw an obscene "laser" shooting liquid on the chalkboard and the students notice) but most times, it's a hearty and obnoxious laugh. Possibly one of the best things about living in Taiwan has to be the funny and amusing things we hear.

Here is a list of our favourite "lost in translation" moments.

1. Foreign teacher: "What are you going to do this weekend?"
Supervisor: (laughter) "Oh, foreign teachers, always wanting to know what people are doing on the weekend"

2.Foreign teacher: "Is there any cold water to drink at school?"
Supervisor: (laughter) "Oh, Canadian teachers always want cold water!"


3. Foreign teacher: "What are your favourite foods and what foods don't you like?
Student: "I don't like taste"

4. Foreign teacher gives the following writing assignment: "Write about your favourite movie-Include an introduction and two topic sentences"
Student: "My favourite movie is Jackie Chan. I like Spongebob Squarepants. I like Pokemon".

5. Supervisor: "Don't be a heavy load" (translation: "Don't get stressed out")


6. Foreign teacher: "I can't believe I lost my wallet. I've never lost my wallet before."
Supervisor: "Oh, foreign teachers ALWAYS lose their wallets"

7. Taiwanese Friend (really confused): "Why don't you eat more organs?"
Mel: "I don't know."

8. Melodie to her class: I am from Canadia...I mean Canada! (losing all grip of the English language after only 7 weeks away)


9. A concerned subway rider tries to warn the foreign teachers about chewing gum on the subway: "Can receive fine for chewing the essence"

10. The waiter at the snake restaurant explaining the shot of snake semen: "It's okay, the penis was only dipped into the drink"
Mel, Shawn and Naressa: "Bottoms up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment