Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bang Bang Bang

Korea is home to three very popular "bangs": Norebangs, PC Bangs and DVD Bangs. You can easily find one of these bangy establishments found on just about every street in the country.

While we've been to norebangs (Karaoke rooms) and PC bangs (smoky computer-gaming rooms), we'd never been to a DVD bang, where you can rent a movie and watch it in a private room. I'm a big fan of value for money (AKA a cheapskate), and since I have my own private room (my apartment) and access to any movie ever made (thank you, internet) I'd never seen the point in going to a DVD bang. But- hey- it's a special Korea "thing" and since we're leaving next month we thought we'd try it out on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

We went to the Happy Zone DVD bang across from Popeye's on the food street behind Gangnam Station, exit 7. First, you choose your movie and give it to the employee who loads it up on a DVD player in the lobby. I guess this ensures that they know exactly when your movie is over and when you should be leaving. The downside of this is that you can't pause your video during a bathroom break, but that's not really a big deal. The whole experience costs 16,000 Won, which is roughly the same price as two movie tickets at a real theater in Korea so... it's a little pricy.

After a few minutes, a room became available and we were ushered in. You can see the projectors in the hallway, and I thought the video quality was quite good.

I was *shocked* at how small our "bang" was. I've had broom closets that were a comparable size. Still, the sofa was pretty comfortable and easily big enough for the two of us. Note that none of the surfaces are stainable. These bangs are widely known as a cheap place for young couples that still live at home to have some sexy times.

The screen exceeded my expectations. I was anticipating a TV screen, but the room had a projection screen that was about 5 feet wide. It was a really cool way to watch a movie, and the speaker system was very good, too. Also, please note the tissue box, to wipe up any mess from your sexy time.

We watched Tron: Legacy. We'd missed it at the theaters last winter and never really thought the effects would look great on our laptop screen, and it did look great on the projection screen. I dunno if anything from the movie is all that memorable besides how they make Jeff Bridges look so young, but it was still a fun afternoon, and I'd recommend trying a DVD bang to anybody looking for something different (sexy or otherwise) to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive