Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dear Foreigner,

Today we got some Papa John's coupons in the mail. We get them every few months and tend to promptly use them on free cheesy bready things. This time, I took a closer look at my name on the envelope. Apparantly, to Papa John's, my name is "외국인" AKA "waygookin" AKA "foreigner". CAN YOU IMAGINE, a Canadian company mailing some coupons to a Korean immigrant and addressing it "dear foreigner"? Ohhhh, Korea.

This topic has reminded me of another quick story I'd like to share: last year, Melodie was at a meeting about her summer camp. The meeting was full of 외국인s and there were a few Korean teachers as well, including Catherine- Mel's liaison teacher. Catherine kind of laughed when the attendance sheet was passed around. She pointed out Mel's name on the list and translated the information next to it: it read, "Melodie Erickson, white person". Ohhhh, Korea.

Anyway...I think I'll stop myself from elaborating any further on my feelings regarding this topic. Have a good night, everyone.

Sincerely,

Shawn (foreign white person)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive