Saturday, September 16, 2006

WEEK 1



Well, I will continue after Shawn's post about our arrival and first day. For the first few days, Shawn and I were obliged to live off food purchased at our local 7-11 stores (there's one on campus and one off). We were taken to Myeong-dong by 3 of the other teachers to go shopping. We were so tired but we wanted to buy items that we desperately needed. Also, we were scared to go anywhere alone. They showed us how to use the subway/buses using a t-money card (like a pass). Meyong-dong was insane. All they sell there are clothes, shoes and accessories. There were sky-scrapers of department stores full of those items, plus alleys and streets jammed packed with vendors. We went out to eat and one girl got chicken teriyaki with fish scales on top. The fish scales were moving!!! (because of the heat, though). It was gross. We couldn't believe that there were so many people and stores for items that are not at all necessary, just luxury...So although we didn't find anything we needed (food, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc...), we did have our eyes opened to Korea as a shopper's paradise. We went back there yesterday and Shawn bought some clothes, shoes and I, a robot watch.
Today we went to another "market"- of course, this ain't no farmer's market, it's an area that consists of more clothes, shoes, and assessories. There were 30000 stores! I bought a guitar for 20000won (approx 25.00CDN), of course, this was at a second hand flea market in a baseball stadium! I was pretty happy. I also bought a black pair of shoes for work for about $5.oo!!!Ha!
Dayna will be happy to know that there is about a kilometer of just shoe vendors. (We think it's called the shoe district!)
Anyways, we're getting a lot more confident at using the subway and bus systems on our own. We're thinking of future areas to explore...although I'm sure it's just clothes, shoes and accessories!!!!! We also found a department store similar to Walmart called the Carrefour. This place was a great help because it sold alot of those items we needed that I mentioned earlier.
Well, the job itself will be easy once we get going. Unfortunately, I have been given "Dance" as my first class and Shawn has "Magic". Before we got those, we were like "I hope we get any classes except dance and magic." The Dance is so hard because it's really intricate with alot of complicated dance steps to the hustle and Hip-Hop! I cannot Hip-Hop Dance!!!! I expressed my concern to our boss and I'm not sure what will happen Monday. I just hope that I don't have to do dance right away...give me the Post office...Please!!!!!!
All of our fellow teachers are nice. I think Shawn and I are going to make some friends with the New Zealanders and the girl from B.C.
Anyways, we need to enjoy the rest of our Saturday so I'll end it here for now.
Please leave comments!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment