Sunday, November 19, 2006

Emmer's Last Weekend: Salsa + Norebang

Saturday night saw a return to Hongdae where we met up with a bunch of teachers from SEV. It was Emma's last weekend before she makes the trek back to the UK on Saturday. Emma and Ryan are quite the accomplished dancers so we went to/invaded a salsa bar. When we first arrived there were 3 or 4 Korean couples there, all dancing like they were on an episode of Dancing With The Stars. Well, when the 20 of us came in it didn't take long for us to scare them off. Melodie, as clever as ever, managed to snag several fun instruments from behind the bar: a cowbell, bongo, and the ever-popular maracas.


While my dancing ability is just as lame as ever (Emma described me as "hopeless"...), Mel and I had fun trying, playing instruments, and hanging out.


Like I said, the instruments were a big hit. This is my favorite ever picture of Emma...

Nari and the cowbell.



A video of Melodie and the bongos.

The masters of de salsa, Emma and Ryan.

After that foolishness, some of us went to a norebang (which means "sing room"). Norebangs are private kareoke rooms that are very popular and very common in Korea but we'd never been to one. There was a disco ball, lights and even some smoke. It was pretty cool, I think they'd be a big hit at home if someone opened one. However, it was clear that none of us should quit our day jobs. Poor Mel lost her voice so she didn't do a lot of singing, but if you'd like to see me make a fool out of myself, here I am butchering "Bohemian Rhapsody"...





I apoligize to anyone who is now deaf after listening to that. Well, after the Norebang it was 4:30am so we decided to take a cab home. Clearly the train would have been cheaper but it doesn't run 24 hours. Do you want to know the number one best thing about Korea? Cheap transportation. It took over an hour for us to get home and the fare was only 35,000. At home it would have been over $100 I'm sure. Subways are cheap too. The cost to travel over an hour to Hongdae by subway was 1600 won. That's about a $1.60. Anywho, back on topic: we had fun and I think Emma had a pretty good last bash. Nehhhhhhh Emmer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive