Saturday, November 25, 2006

Insadong + Sour Cream!!

Yesterday we went to Insadong to finish up our Christmas shopping. Insadong is where a lot of traditional Korean swag is sold. The streets are full of antiques, masks, scrolls, souvineers, and the kinds of things you probably picture when you think of Korea until you read this blog and find out it's all shopping malls and KFC just like the rest of the world! Insadong was a cool area. I picked up a t-shirt with traditional Korean song lyrics written in Hangul (the Korean alphabet) on the front. Oh, and I also bought a kimchi magnet, because if there isn't some kimchi inside your fridge there should at least be some on the door.


This is pretty much what the shopping looked like.

......................SPOOOOOOOOOONS....................

Next, Mel and I went to the Hannam Supermarket in Hangangjin. I'd read about this store online and it was described as a good place to find foreign import foods. Good? I'd describe it as GREAT!!!!

I mean, Korean grocery stores are okay, but most of the products are... well... korean. Which is fine, and I've found a lot of new foods I like, but after a while you do start to miss certain foods. For Mel and I we especially miss mexican foods... but luckily the Hannam Supermarket sold not only tacos, tortilla wraps, and enchilada mix, but they also had a deli that sold sliced sandwich meat! Do you know how long it's been since I had a sandwich???

Mel even found a bottle of Molson Canadian. True patriot love...




This is me at the end of the night with all my finds: a litre (!!) of Sour Cream (we'd never seen sour cream before in this country), Reeses peanut butter cups, Mel's precious salt and vinegar chips, tacos, enchiladas, and tortillas.

Oh, we ate so well last night! You know what? I think I was too busy eating these treats to have an ice cream yesterday! Awwww... another milestone: Nov. 26, Shawn's first day in Korea without a big icecream cone :(



These drunks amused us on the trip home. Please note the flashy gold purse clutched by the gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive