Thursday, August 27, 2009

Modern Toilet Restaurant


Since we were in the mood for some fine dining this evening, we travelled about 20 minutes to Ximending and visited Modern Toilet Restaurant. Actually… we hadn’t planned on eating there; we had just travelled into the area to see a movie when we stumbled onto the restaurant. You might remember that I had listed Modern Toilet as one of the top 10 things I wanted to do in Taiwan, so since we knew we’d never be able to find the place again if we tried (Ximending is a MAZE of stores) we decided to eat there tonight.


As far as theme restaurants go, this one is pretty good. Your chair is a toilet bowl (and yes, the seats even lift up), the table is two sinks pushed together with a glass top over them, and our table also had a nice faucet coming out of it which led to a shower head a few feet above us. In the corner of the restaurant was a pleasant gift shop area where you could buy little plush poos and such.


I ordered the coconut chicken, which tasted very nice and was served in a toilet bowl. On the side was a little salad served under a brown poo lid, some rice, a miso soup and a cold tea served in a bed pan with a curly straw. I paid an extra dollar so I could keep the bed pan. It just seemed like the perfect souvenir.


Mel ordered a Japanese hot pot which was also lovingly served in a toilet. It was really hot (temperature-wise) and when it only seemed to be getting hotter we investigated to find that they’d lit a butane burner inside the toilet bowl but under the food. We had to ask them to turn the burner off because it was way to hot to eat!


Dessert was included and it came in the form of two lovely little ice creams served in a urinal. The best part was at the end of our meal when I went to the washroom and I walked through a whole restaurant full of western toilet bowl seats, I walked past the washroom sink which was also shaped like a western toilet bowl, and then the toilet for us to actually use for our business was… a squatter. Luckily, I wasn’t there for that kind of business.


After the meal, Mel and I went to see Inglorious Basterds which was awesome and even came with bonus subtitles.


Before heading back to the subway we walked around Ximending for a bit. It’s an awesome shopping area- it’s just packed with cool clothing stores and food stalls. It reminds me of my beloved Myongdong market in Korea, and something tells me we’ll both be dropping a lot of coin there sometime in the future. But tonight we just window shopped. After all, I went home with the best purchase of all: a bed pan/cup with a curly straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive