Sunday, August 30, 2009

Taipei Fine Arts Museum/Pixar Exhibition


On Saturday, Mel and I went to the Taipei Fine Arts Museum to see the 20 years of Pixar exhibition. The exhibition debuted in New York at the Museum of Modern Art and has been shown in quite a few cities since then. It was a chilly 41 degrees, and even a quick 10 minute walk from the subway station to the museum left me sweating in places I didn't even know could sweat.


There were TOO MANY PEOPLE at the museum. All of the art and exhibits were on the walls and there was a never-ending line of people navigating the room along the walls, slowly reading everything. We weren't interested in reading everything ("Cars" for example, isn't really my favorite movie) but if we didn't stand in the line then there was basically a wall of people between us and the art. Despite my moaning, the artwork that they used to develop their movies is damn cool, and I would have proudly mounted any of it on my living room wall. I'd highly recommend this exhibit to anyone.


We got to see a bunch of the story boards used to create the films plots. I've always like the animated short with the funny birds on the telephone wire as seen in the storyboard above.


How to make a peeg.


All the Finding Nemo pishies.


Wall-E storyboard. One of my favorite movies.


Loved UP!


After we'd seen all the Pixar stuff we grabbed some lunch at the cafeteria. There was no english menu, but I found a way around that by taking a picture of the sandwiches we wanted and then just showing the cashier so she could fetch them for us. All those chinese classes we took, and we never thought to learn the word "sandwich"...


The rest of the museum was really cool too. This was the only picture that I was able to take before they asked me to stop taking pictures bwahaahaha. The art was really modern, sometimes lewd, and definitely cool. It was my type of gallery.


There was some unfinished construction going on in the basement. We peeked through the door to discover why the construction might not be going so quickly: someone's sleeping on the job!


After we were done at the museum we walked back to the station. On the way there, there was a man selling ice cream from a trolley for 30 cents, so I bought one and it was awesome. I managed to drip some of it on my khaki shorts, though, so I walked around for the rest of the day looking like the foreigner who forgot to eat with his bib. We passed by lots of obviously crazy people in jeans and sweaters... it was over 40 degrees. I don't know how they could stand wearing so many clothes. Or how they don't wind up with heat stroke. Anyway- we grabbed some Thai food before heading home and then cooled off with a delicious shaved ice, fruit, yogurt and ice cream dessert. I'd had shaved ice before and didn't really get it, but this stuff was great. In the evening we went out to our new favorite restaurant, Fish Noodle, where our bill was labeled VIP and the drinks were free! Must have been because I was with Small Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive