Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Hello Kitty Cafe


After a day of hiking, Nareesa and I deserved a fancy dessert and let me tell you that there is no fancier dessert being served in Taipei than at the Hello Kitty Sweets cafe.


At first we were a bit put off by the prices, which started at over $10CAN for what looked in the pictures to be a pretty small amount of food. However, our waitress explained that the dessert also included a drink and a jello course so, given the quality of everything, I actually left thinking that the price was pretty fair. There is also a $300NT ($10 CAN) minimum purchase so although neither of us were really hungry we couldn't just share a dessert as we had planned.. we each had to order our own. Hello Kitty shook us down!


My trio of desserts: a glazed sesame cookie filled with whipped cream, fruit and a chocolate ribbon, the richest tasting chocolate tart, and some more fruit served with icing sugar and a pink chocolate Hello Kitty head.


Nareesa's plate didn't come with a Hello Kitty head so she had to call the waitress over. "OH, where is Kitty?" the waitress exclaimed as she ran off with the plate. When she returned to the table with a Hello Kitty chocolate now in place she smiled and said, "Kitty come back". The service was awesome. Please note the detail: there was even a kitty in the foam of my coffee.


Nareesa's chocolate mousse dessert with fruit and green tea powdered sugar spelling out "Hello Kitty" on her plate.


While the women dressed in pink served the food we could see the men (at one point there were 4) whipping up the amazing desserts in the kitchen.


By the time the jello course came out I was practically in a diabetic coma. This was the sweetest food I have ever eaten and I don't really have too much of a sweet tooth. In fact the food was so sweet that, in comparison, the jello almost tasted salty to me. I didn't eat another thing for the rest of the night.


I saved kitty's head and half my chocolate tart to share with Mel, so as a result I got to carry the world's manliest take-out box all the way home. THE SHAME!

No comments:

Post a Comment