Friday, November 13, 2009

The Week In Review

On Monday, Mel and I went to Banchio to pick up the train tickets I'd ordered online so I could go to the amusement park on Tuesday. We decided to get some supper and we'd wanted to try this one particular Thai restaurant for a while, but in the past it has always been too busy. On Monday we were able to get a table and it was so good, but on the way there I have to say we were quite tempted by another restaurant's strangey menu:


$178NT for "the pig sets the table" is a pretty good deal, if you ask me.


On Tuesday, Nareesa and I went to Leofoo Amusement Park, where I rode roller coasters until I made myself puke, and then on the way home we went to the Thai place I had been to the night before. I bought a papaya salad to bring home for Mel, and when she'd eaten about 75% of the salad she screamed and showed me the grossest black centipede, which had been floating in her salad!

On Wednesday, Mel made a new friend! When I went to Sanchong for my late afternoon class, she decided to go shopping in Ximen. This is only the second time Mel has gone anywhere by herself in Taiwan. The first time she went out alone she witnessed a bad scooter accident minutes after leaving home. On Wednesday she was followed around all afternoon by an older man who approached her on the bus. She was even wearing her headphones, which everyone knows is the universal sign for "DON'T BOTHER ME". Charles (the new BFF), is trying to learn English and wanted to follow her around while she shopped to practice his conversational skills. Although she reports that he didn't turn out to be creepy, and he even treated her to a coffee and squid soup, it still made it kind of awkward for her when she wanted to buy some pads.


On Thursday, my cold had reached it's peak and I wasn't sure how I was going to teach my classes. Wednesday night I slept for 14 hours and I woke up only feeling marginally better. Thankfully, the students I teach on Thursdays are all really good so I decided to pull out an old fool-proof game I used to play with my kids in Korea. Yes, I brought giant dice to work, and the kids went crazy. Teachers- if you need an easy day at work, bring along a giant fuzzy, novelty dice and everyone is going to be happy.

Friday
afternoon at my part-time school I was assaulted by paparazzi! About 10 minutes before my class I was sitting in the office (which the school should really learn to LOCK) when about 20 teenage girls in pink and one boy marched in and surrounded me. I'd never seen any of these kids before, nor do I teach them. One girl was sheepishly pushed forward and she asked, "teacher... we take picture of you?" I was like "...okay" and the crowd squeeled. Every combination of students posed with me over what must have been dozens of photos until, thankfully, the bell rang and I was able to escape my biggest fans and go to the class of kids that I actually teach who don't give two craps about me. God, I love that class.


After work, all of the teachers went out for Mexican food at the *best* Mexican place in Taipei. Everything is so good, and last night the owner actually tipped US rather than us tipping him. He said thanks for coming and gave us some money back on our bill. Gotta love Asia! When Mel and I got home, our neighbor, Christine, came over with her dog Lucky and wanted to know if we would like to do something together this weekend. While we were talking and I was petting Lucky, I felt a warm sensation on my leg as Lucky started peeing all over me, and then walked while still peeing all over our floor!

So, we've puked, made new BFFs and been pissed on this week. How was your week?

No comments:

Post a Comment