Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sobey's Star of Christmas

When I was younger, you knew it was almost Christmas in Atlantic Canada when the local TV stations started running the Sobey's "Star of Christmas" commercial. Sobey's is an east-coast chain of grocery stores. I had my first real job working there during university, and Sobey's was also where Mel and I first met.

So, when it came time to teach my students a few Christmas songs for our Christmas concert, what other song could I choose? It was hard for them at first because it was an unfamiliar song, but before long I was catching them singing it while they worked and even my co-teacher complained that my beautiful grocery store commercial song was getting stuck in her head at home.

After the performance I replayed this video for the kids so they could see what a good job they did. We had a few minutes left over in the class so I brought up the Sobey's website and read them the new sales flyer. I think in the new year I'll plan a Bargain Harley's-related lesson as well.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdW8peytzik

and the original, if you're unfamiliar:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive